Saturday, January 15, 2022

Something All of Us Must Be Prepared for

Death of a family member who does not live with you or is in the same city.  Unfortunately, I have just experienced this situation, and one thing I wanted to do with my blog since 2009, was to share with my viewers around the world situations I have experienced that I felt would be of value for other people to learn from. 

I just found out the wife of my deceased cousin died in September all alone, and no one claimed the body, so according to North Carolina law, the state had to wait 10 days before she could be cremated.  She had entered a hospital on her own, but unfortunately had no visitors or anyone to contact upon her death.  She had been an interrupter at the United Nations for Norway before she married my cousin who worked for IBM.  They only had each other.  Both set of parents were deceased, both were the only child and they could not have children of their own.  They were married for over 50 years before her husband died in 2019.

The purpose of this blog now is to make people around the world aware of what happens when someone close to you dies especially if no arrangements have been made.  I never thought about when you die you must have someone claim your body.  You can do that with a funeral establishment as I did when my mother died.  They go to where your love one died and picks up the body to take to the funeral parlor after arrangements have been made for the funeral.  If not, the coroner is called and the body is taken to the city morgue until they are informed how the body is to be handled.  

These are all horrible thoughts but reality.  Be prepared before you are confronted with this situation  - be prepared

  In addition, you want to make sure to announce to the world you have died so no one can assume your identity and assets as their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment